Friday 9 April 2010

Story: The Gingerbread Man

Children love this story and will want to listen to it and act it out again and again. The first time I read it I was teaching 4 year olds and was not too sure about it because I thought it was a bit harsh the fox eating the main character... obviously I was the only one!! They found it hilarious!! I have since then used it with older children, adapting the difficulty of the text and the follow-up activities and they all really enjoy it.

The really good thing about this story is that we can have as many characters as we want thus everybody gets to participate in its dramatization.

But appart from adding as many animals as we want, we can also create new characters that relate to what we are working on either in Literacy or other subjects, for example professions (the baker, butcher, teacher...).
If you do not know the story, the reading and the images in this video are, in my opinion, quite nice:




Some things we can do surrounding this story are:

  • Work on the Past Tense
  • Work on animals
  • Make masks
  • Make cookies and/or work on recipes
  • Write an alternative ending (to make me happy!)

-If you would like more ideas and material, I suggest you check out Teaching Heart´s Gingerbread Unit

(Both images are taken from www.flickr.com, Creative Commons)

Thank You!

1 comment:

Thank you so much!!