Wednesday 12 May 2010

Poems: Octopus, Octopus

In the Act & Learn School Displays Album you can see some of the work that was done surrounding this poem. We also worked on it in the English class by studying aspects such as:

- Rhyme
- Rhythm

- Future with “Will”
- Question formulation

The poem is:

Octopus, octopus down in the sea,
How many arms can you show to me?
Only one, or will it be two?
Why are all of these arms on you?
Will it be three or will it be four?
Oh, dear me! Are there really more?
Will it be five or will it be six?
I think that my eyes are playing tricks.
Will it be seven or will it be eight?
Tell me, octopus, I cannot wait.
Octopus, octopus, down in the sea,
How many arms can you show me?


There´s something about octopuses that makes children love them particularly, I recommend you give this poem a go and see it for yourself!

If you are feeling adventurous, in the art class you can use body paint and the children can paint octopuses on their friend´s hands as seen in the picture.

If you are working on The Sea as a topic or simply want more poems, I suggest you visit this very useful website for more Sea Poems and many other things.

1 comment:

  1. After having made such a splash on this Blog, I would like to let you know that I was a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y overwhelmed by your work. Congratulations for this cool Blog. As a teacher I know it can be very useful to use drama techniques in order to stimulate children to communicate in English. I am going to use some of your ideas. Thanks 

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much!!